Monday 24 March 2014

Welcome to Workplace Mums!

I'm finally doing it. After thinking about this blog for over a year, I've stopped the delaying tactics and started...

The thinking behind this blog is to gather intelligence from all my intelligent working mum friends (and friends of friends) to cut through the crap and find out what really works and what doesn't when we go back to work.



By way of disclosure (and I hope you won't hold this against me), I've opted not to return to the corporate world after having my 3 children; rather, I've re-trained as a Professional Coach and now (theoretically) work from home.

I certainly miss my old life and the gratification which comes from a successful career. But isn't it all about trade-offs? When my husband and I decided to have children, I knew I'd stay at home with them. I also knew I would struggle with that decision. What I hadn't anticipated, was the cocktail of other emotions which would circulate around my head as I jumped from envy of my friends who got to put on their suits and lead busy and important lives away from their children, to guilt knowing that many of them had no choice but to return to work and would have gladly swapped places with me. I had the luxury of choice. The choice was empowering, but it also meant I could second-guess myself about whether I was making the right decision.

So here I am. A beautiful family; my home office; a fledgling coaching practice; and a contribution to make (well, at least I hope so).

This project, however, won't go very far without some help. I will be seeking contributions, craving your comments and asking you to spread the word. I will be interviewing and surveying.

I know you already have so many demands on your time, but hopefully, we can share the knowledge and find more of the elusive "balance" that we would all love so much.

Are you in?
Please post a comment and vote in the poll (see below)

11 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda I think your blog is a great idea. My name is Dee and I have one son who is four years old. I work just two days a week and now my son is at the age where he is quite self sufficient I thoroughly enjoy our time together and we have come to love each other’s company. Next year when he starts school I will return to work full time or close to it so I feel like I need to make the most of every second we get to spend together now. In the past I have had pangs of guilt thinking I should be working more and then pangs of guilt when I’ve gone to work and dropped him off at daycare.

    However, as the time for him to start school is drawing every nearer and I have to face the fact that my ‘baby’ is growing up I am eternally grateful that I have had the luxury of spending so much time with him during these precious few years. I fear that the ‘balance’ I was so lucky to have is slowly melting away and the idea of returning to full time work is not really appealing at all– my solution – have six more children and I should be set for life!! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee. I really hope you continue to enjoy the balance you’ve been able to create once your little man starts school. I’ve got a few more years before mine all reach that stage! Hopefully I can share some tips from others who’ve already been down that path. AC

      Delete
  2. Hi Amanda

    How well articulated and true your thoughts are. As an ex-corporate, stay-at-home mother of 3, I was always planning to go back into the corporate world. However, my first child went to school this year and appears to need me emotionally (and academically) more than he ever did. A big rethink is needed so I look forward to what your blog finds....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I imagine you are not alone in your dilemma and I do hope this blog will help you in deciding your next steps. A key challenge, as another Workplace Mum commented, is that it only gets harder (in terms of the school-related supervision kids require) so getting back to some sort of paid work when the kids are young is really important, so that you know you can! I apologise if that makes you feel even more pressured, but I guess it is about having to weigh up all the different options and implications. AC

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda,

    I’m in!

    ‘Balance’ is something that I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. Right now, I’m aiming for the “not falling over” sort of balance but it would be nice to find the type of balance where life’s different elements are in just the right proportions.

    Maybe your blog can help me figure out what that looks like and how to get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. If it's any consolation, you are certainly not alone in having "balance" front-of-mind. In fact, in the survey (see link at the top of the page), it was the highest ranked issue selected by Workplace Mums. So that is where I am going with my next post! Hope it helps...AC

      Delete
  4. Angela Gallichan8 April 2014 at 09:16

    Hello Amanda. It's always great to hear your take on things. If anyone can find the balance it's you!

    I have two school age children and an almost full time job. I feel as though the last ten years have passed in a split second and I'm now thinking about what to do next. It's a really exciting time and I wouldn't have it any other way - even if I don't know what I'm doing or where I'm going most of the time!

    So, let's bring on the blog....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela. Thank you so much for your encouragement. I've been getting such a great response, so I really hope I can provide a valuable resource for Workplace Mums. I think your point about how quickly time passes is something we all need to be reminded of from time-to-time!

      Delete
  5. Great to be exploring this topic with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for being with me on the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just recently came across this blog. I hope that these lines still reach you all...
    My boy has been in day care full time since he was around 1ish. I've always felt guilty about this but at the same time I know that I am a better mum with him because I am able to fulfill my professional needs. I always fear though that I may regret it when his young years are gone. I am planning to arrange for more flexible work arrangements when he starts school so I can pick him up from school at least 3 days a week to help him with homework, etc. Not sure if it would've been better to spend more time with him while he was still young than when he is in school but too late for me to do so. I do feel guilt a lot of the time by knowing that he spends most of his awake weekly time at school rather than with me. My only comfort is knowing that he is in a good quality care environment but I know that he will never get the same amount of attention and care than if he was at home. Oh well... life is not always easy!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments